Toys From The Heart

Wanted: Fun-filled homes with loads of TLC for these adorable but homeless plushies. Meant for the young or young at heart.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

SOCKS GALORE

Each time I go away, I usually come back feeling inspired to create toys and my head will be spinning with ideas I want to try. But by the time I get back and start work again, all the ideas get KIV for when I have time to pursue them maybe over the weekend (which hardly happens).

I realised I was most productive when I was unwell and had to stay at home for two glorious weeks and I ended up making my most favourite pieces then!! I definitely have to find a way to manage my time better. So, if you have any idea of how I can juggle a regular job with a hobby that I am passionate about, please share cuz I am all ears.

Anyways, two weeks away in UK and my best souveniors that I got for myself are these awesome super yummy socks!! I can just imagine the sock monkeys that I am going to make from these socks!! It was quite embarassing for my colleagues who were wit me cuz I was wowing and ooohing and ahhing each time I saw them socks to a point where they started looking out for these socks before me so that they could point them out to me and wait for my ooohhs and ahhhs. Thanks for being so patient with me!! :o)

These are just a sample of the whole range that I got so you will have to wait for the finish products to see exactly how many socks I got.

I was out today walking about and saw a shop that sold goodies for children and what caught my attention was the many handmade toys for children. It was nice just browsing and admiring some of the cool toys that were made from different fabrics like leather and felt, some with a touch of glam with beads and sequins. 

But after a while of checking the labels (to see where the toys were from), I realised that all the toys were brought in from overseas and have expensive labels to match the toys. I acknowledge that the toys are of good quality, no mass produced plastic toys made in China that will fall apart the moment you take the toy out from its box (this happened to me recently so am still sore about it). So I asked the lady at the shop  who was busy unpacking things (shop is newly open) if she carried anything made by local artisans. And her reply was, "No, our handmade toys are all from overseas". That was said with such arrogance that I was speechless for a while and could only reply "Oh, I see". I placed back a felt toy that I was hold onto it's rightful place and I left the shop. I felt that I didn't belong in that shop and maybe I am being too sensitive about things (could be that time of the month) but I got the impression that if I am not from overseas myself, I shouldn't be buying anything there. I am sure that wasn't the intention of the shop (cuz money from anyone is welcome I am sure) but that was MY impression.

It's very sad to see that till today, there are still people who think that toys made in the western world are of the best quality. With cheaply made poor quality products coming out of China, I guess I don't blame the majority for thinking that. But I have been to Thailand and see beautiful handmade toys which are of outstanding quality. And I am sure in other parts of Asia, if we look hard enough, there are such toys which are usually catering to a small group of the market cuz the majority are still looking for cheap toys (cuz kids-grow-out-of-their-toys-so-quickly logic) I see toys made in Singapore with high quality too. I would like to think that my toys are made lovingly and of the same standards of those toys sold in that shop.

Would I want my toys to be sold in that shop, I asked myself. No. I want my toys in a shop that is able to appreciate good quality handmade toys regardless where the toys are made.

Excuse my ramblings in this post, but am at Coffee Bean right now washing away that unpleasant taste in my mouth from that experience with a delightful cup of Malibu Dream (no whip). And I am thankful that there are still people (including lovely Singaporean friends who have been supporting things handmade in Singapore) out there who appreciates handmade toys. Just wish there were more of us ....

Labels: